He seemed to have something dark on his face, especially around his mouth.
To my dismay it appears he has been chewing on his crib. I don't know for how long but they usually aren't in their cribs for very long before or after they are asleep, I don't know how he got all this damage done, if it was just that day or if he'd been working on this surprise for days, working a bit at naptime and at bedtime.
These were beautiful cribs that were supposed to be able to convert into toddler beds and then double beds. They weren't cheap. Now I'm really wishing I had gone the Jenny Lind $109 crib route that you can buy a $10 crib teether bar for. What was our solution? The only thing that would fit, a Fireplace Guard from Burlington Baby Depot.
So far it's worked and I haven't had any more wipes that looked like this:
Bailey's crib, it has no signs of damage and thus has no need for the silly looking Fireplace Guard.