Tuesday, December 13, 2011

2011...where has the time gone.

I know, I know I said I was going to post more often. It's been a busy year. No more promises.
I promise.

Anyhow, in lieu of sending a Christmas letter in everyone's Christmas cards this year (let's face it those things were already weighed down) I thought I would compose a little post, a sort of year in review thing, for those who may be stopping in after receiving our Christmas card in hopes of more news or snippets about what we've been up to this year.

In January, the twins turned three. We celebrated with family and friends. Then at the end of the month we celebrated it again with family and friends. Sean went back to the allergist and we got the fabulous news that he was no longer allergic to eggs, milk or soy. We also decided after a string of 'slow months' to sell our house and began the preparations to move.

In February, Todd and I ran Holiday Lake 50k. It was my first 'ultra', Todd's second. I got shin splints the week before and feared a DNF (Did not finish) or even worse was in my future. However, I am proud to say that I finished the 50k in 5:29:41. The following Monday we listed our house officially for sale. On Tuesday, Bailey and Cooper started preschool two days a week at a local church. They loved it immediately. The next Saturday I ran a local 5k trail race and finished first female. Despite finishing well I didn't feel well. Turns out, I was pregnant and didn't yet know it.

In March, we had several showings on our house and went to several open houses. We stayed busy with work, preschool, getting the house ready and running a few Mountain Junkies races. Mid-March I finally made it the doctor and confirmed that baby number four was indeed on his way, due October 31st. At the end of the month Bailey and Cooper took Daddy to school for Daddy and Me night and Todd and I ran the Terrapin Half. Worst race ever for me. Proof that running requires a strong and healthy mental front.

In April, we finally announced that we were expecting. We started going on family hikes in celebration of the warmer weather moving in. We ran Martin's 10k in Richmond and visited the National Zoo. The twins are in love with Monkeys. Sean, who has yet to talk, just smiles and points at everything.

In May, I traveled to Cincinnati for a girl's weekend to run the Cincinnati half marathon. We celebrated the upcoming arrival of my niece, Neko, with a baby shower/cookout in our backyard and we saw the Air Show when it came through town. In an effort to lower our monthly bills we sell our Sequoia and bought a Suburban on Ebay (yes, Ebay) and I drive to New Jersey over Memorial Weekend with the three kids to pick it up. Preschool ended for the year and we learn that baby is most probably another boy.

June. Todd ran a trail marathon and I a 25k at Carvin's Cove, we both felt we did well considering our training and conditions. We frequented the local splash-ground as the weather is not yet warm enough for the pool. Out of nowhere we get an offer from our bank to refinance our house. We jump on the offer as we never really wanted to move in the first place. Our niece Neko is born on June 20th and a week later we learn that baby is most definitely, without a doubt, another boy.

July was cookouts and beach trips, family visits from Arizona and loads of ice cream and pool trips to beat the heat. It was also when my grandmother, Betty, passed away at the age of 93.

In August, Sean turned two. After two years of very, very little speaking Sean finally starts talking. He starts us off by saying "no". He loves our reaction so much that he starts saying more words. He enunciates everything in such a way that I just love to listen to him talk. Todd and I celebrated our tenth anniversary and take the family to Busch Gardens.

All three children went to preschool in September. We were nervous about Sean going but he loves it just as much if not more than Bailey and Cooper. After a few short weeks he is talking more and more. Todd ran another Trail Marathon and I was lucky enough to attend and volunteer for the race. It was an eye opening experience to be on that side of a race. As a late birthday present Todd and I went to Charlottesville to see the Avett Brothers in concert. It was awesome. Bailey ran the 1/4 mile kids race at the Amazing Kids Mile and found the after race goodie bag quite rewarding.

October began and I was ready to have the new baby. However, the new baby was not quite ready to come. The whole month is a blur of false labor, trips to the hospital, loads of walking and running in hopes of bringing on labor. It was actually a really busy month with birthdays and wedding and races, then festivals, orchards and field trips. I really, really thought the baby was going to come in October. I was wrong.

Six hours into November. That's when baby number four, Brodie Michael Indiana, finally made his debut. Luckily for him he's a pretty cute and a pretty good baby so I don't hold it against him that he waited for November. Aunt Sue and cousin Ivy came to visit for a week after he was born and were so much fun that we were really sad (and scared) to see them go. The kids had pajama day at school and a Thanksgiving Feast.

And now that brings us to December. So far we've had a Christmas Program at school that was adorable, we've gone to visit Santa and had our annual Cookie Exchange where I once again, did not even get honorable mention for my cookies. We still have loads of shopping to do and it's still undecided whom among us is on the naughty list.


No comments: